$$$ = Value?

>> Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Does paying more money really mean you're getting a higher quality product?

Unfortunately, in some cases, yes. Working in a store that sells both high-end and mid-grade baby gear I have realized that paying a little extra can do wonders in the long run.


Yesterday a rep from the Baby Silk company came by. While I wasn't there when she came by, I did get some sample products to take home (yay goodies!) One of the products I got was a travel size of their lotion. It is honestly the best lotion I have ever used. Ever. My hands take a huge beating throughout the day between washing more then the average person should (because I must) and eczema my hands look like old lady hands pretty quickly. This stuff made my hands feel like, well, a baby! I would love to use this all over. Unfortunately the full size bottle is $20. (no lies)

Another area I see $$ = quality of product is jeans. The average person had probably 2-4 pairs of jeans that last years. Assuming they aren't super trendy. So I see no problem with spending $80 on a pair of jeans. Especially in my case. I have a -hell- of a time jean shopping. Until I found Guess Jeans. I can't go wrong in this place! Yes, $80 for a pair of jeans, but I go into the store knowing I'm going to walk out with a pair of jeans that actually fits. That used to never ever happen for me.

Here's an example where $$ does not necessarily = Quality. Strollers. Yep, another baby example. We carry a variety of different strollers from strollers that cost $1200 to ones that are $125. Disclaimer: Those two strollers are vastly different in so many ways it would take an entire post just to explain them. My favorite is the Baby Jogger City Mini (plug plug plug) $220, will take an infant, car seat, holds up to 45ish pound, big wheels, easiest fold in the universe, and only 17lbs. Amazing stroller. You could try and get away with only having this one stroller. (most people end up with 3) Not much money, lots of value. While it's only 2 years old we've -never- had a problem with them. Not one return because it was defective. Without bad mouthing any of the other strollers we carry, let me just say, this kind of quality/awesomeness doesn't always come in a stroller. Some strollers seem great, but just tend to break down quickly.

Working in the industries I do I've learned that doing some research before you go buy something, even if it's not a huge purchase, it not a bad idea. Research research research!

Oh, and organic fruits really do taste better.

3 comments:

Kendra January 27, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

You're too funny!!! But I wholeheartedly agree with you on this post!!! I've recently bought a pair of Silver jeans..and I'm soooooo glad I did!! They did cost me a lot ($75), but they've been certainly worth it!! :) PLUS, I -really- needed them! And LIKE YOU, I have a very hard time finding jeans!!
That stroller looks sooo trendy! haha :)

Jackie January 27, 2009 at 8:02 PM  

Kind of trendy! Not as much as the bugaboo though, oh man. And it's just such an awesome stroller!

Soul Existence January 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

Meh. i buy my jeans at walmart for 12$. They last me about 2 years each and they fit fine, with plenty of pockets. Plus, when they rip in the back pocket (which they do) or wear and tear on the right thigh (which they do) i can use one of the old pairs to patch them. then i have patched jeans and i'm trendy. Wooo!

if i ever have a baby again (which i hope we do) i'll ask for your recommendation on strollers and stuff.

  © Free Blogger Templates Digi-digi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP